Another good lesson learned… :)

Friday, December 10, 2010 - Posted by Intellectual Elegance at 10:34 AM

I apologize for my delayed posts. I don't have an excuse, I've just been really tired. Sorry. :)

I think I can pretty much forget about hearing back from the Vera Institute, which is fine. I actually had the opportunity to tour some of the New York Harbor parks here, specifically Gateway. I got the opportunity to meet an amazing and talented person out of Fort Wadsworth, and hopefully, if all goes well, I will be helping them on a Latino initiative with their park. I also had the chance to meet someone who is in charge of youth engagement for their park, and that would be an ideal position for me, here at Governors or at some other park! Her position is exactly what I want to do, and I truly hope I get a chance to work with her soon. So, it was a great week because of that, but I did get a bit sick on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. I think it's my new vitamins, they mess up my stomach and it was bitter cold when I went walking around Jamaica Bay (bird watching, which is really fun!).

I am still getting used to my commute, I've missed my ferry twice this week, and it annoys me to all ends because I've missed it because I woke up late and because the train sat at the previous station for 10 minutes! So, I really can't afford to wake up late, but recently it's been hard because I haven't been sleeping very well at all, so the last thing I want to do is wake up in the morning.

We got the chance to go see the Knicks at Madison Square Garden this Monday! That was fun, but it took us forever to get to MSG. I tell you a funny story about Monday as well. I told my mom about it and she couldn't stop laughing. Here it goes…

So Monday, I decided to wear a skirt, with some cute pattern tights, and my flat black boots. (Which I love). So, I get on the first train and everything is going great until the second stop. I have to get off the train to catch the express train. I noticed how crowded and packed the train was, and I tried to push through with no success. So I decided to wait it out until the next one. The next one was delayed, and finally when it arrived I jumped on. Looking at my watch, I was still doing good time. I got off and got back on the original train to my final stop (South Ferry). The train sat in the freaking station for about 10 minutes, and then it waited at the next station for another 6-8 minutes. This is critical, because, if all goes well on my commute, I make it to the ferry station with 10 minutes to spare. So, this coupled with the fact that I had opted out of the second train made me late. I had 3 minutes to catch the ferry, so of course, as soon as the doors opened, I flew out and ran up the station, up the stairs, around the block to the ferry and too late… it was gone.

I realized at that moment that there was something burning on my thighs. I ignored it and called work and told them that I missed the ferry. They were fine with it, and just told me to catch the next one (they run every hour), but they asked if I could pick up cupcakes at Crumbs on Wall Street. I obliged because I had one hour to spend and I trusted that my phone would help me find it. It didn't. Stupid thing froze half way through the search and the walk, so I was on my own. I walked for a good 20 minutes through Wall Street asking for directions and with a painful burning sensation in between my thighs. I finally arrive, there's a line, I look at my watch and I now have 15 minutes to make it back. I wait and wait. Finally, my turn! I order the cupcakes (which are AMAZING!, if you come to NYC you must stop here!). Then I flew out of the bakery and stopped on the corner. I didn't know which way to go. So I went straight down the wrong direction! Stupid phone, I ran towards the waterfront because I knew that would lead me back to the ferry. What I didn't realize is that I had walked about a mile away from the ferry station. So, I looked at my watch, 8 minutes till the ferry leaves, and I started to run, no not run, sprint! I ran so hard that I didn't realize how bad my legs hurt. I ran as fast as I could, only to miss the ferry again. Fail. So, I sat there at the station, reading my paper and starting to worry about the pain I was feeling. I finally realized what had happened. With all the running I did that morning, the material on my tights had warmed up while rubbing together and had burned my skin. At first I thought it was a regular good ol' chaffing. But when I got to work, I realized that the actual "cute" pattern on my tights had actually burned itself into my inner thighs. Nice. Fail again.

So, I tried not to walk at work. But just in case, I grabbed some extra Retro 1950'sRanger pants and put them in my bag, because I realized I wasn't going to survive walking home or anywhere else for that matter, and I had agreed to attend the Knicks game. Thank goodness I have an amazing husband who saw me in pain and took me to buy some leggings at H&M. He's the best. That night, I saw the extent of my damage, and after showering and moisturizing my wounds, I was better in the morning. Not great, but better. I could walk at least. But I still have that pattern etched into my thighs. I wish I could take a picture, but that would be embarrassing (as if telling you this isn't already). I'm taking this as a lesson learned. Don't run in tights.

I promise to post more Sasnor Awards on Monday, so stay tuned for more delicious food spots in Denver.

p.s. Our furniture is on its way, it arrives Tuesday or Wednesday! Thank God!