Major Bummer

Saturday, December 18, 2010 - Posted by Intellectual Elegance at 7:35 PM

Today was an incredibly disappointing day with politics in America. The DREAM Act was finally up for vote in the Senate after passing in the House, and we didn't get the votes to pass it on for a vote. Truly disappointing and incredible disheartening. It took us 10 years to arrive to today. 10 long years and I feel that both sides failed us. I've lost hope in politicians because today was simply about politics. No matter which way we explained the bill, haters on both sides used the same lies, scare tactics and hate to get votes against it. What good is it to have a representative in Congress when they don't listen to what you need? We made over 100,000 calls, probably even more, students and Dolores Huerta went on a hunger strike, and a caravan of undocumented students arrived at the capital in the last couple of months to urge their support. There were students in the senate hall, praying for a vote, and I bet all those cowards didn't have the decency to look at them when they voted no.

It's upsetting especially for the students who are literally facing deportation next year. Yesterday was my first day with my KIND client and it is a 15 year old boy who is a straight A student at school and fled his country because he was being chased by gangs. He came here by himself and now lives with his dad, siblings and uncles. He's working so incredibly hard and yesterday he told me about the DREAM Act and how he hadn't made his phone calls yet, but that as soon as he got home he would. It touched my heart and it made me realize a lot of things. More than anything I realized how urgent we need this legislation to pass and how much my heart and passion is in this work. I want to help undocumented and unaccompanied minors in the United States. That was my goal 10 years ago, and today and yesterday is a reminder that we keep fighting on for them. We put up a good battle for them. We push forward for them. We don't give up for them. It reminded me to have courage with the bar exam and not to be afraid to come into my profession because I am amazing at what I do and yesterday proved it.

I will not forget today and I will do everything in my power to make sure that those who voted against the bill WILL NOT be in politics EVER again. I think I even got sick because I was so upset. I have a stupid cold now. I don't know how yet, but a project is brewing and it will be seen around 2012. As I said in my facebook posting, we need to start the Cafe con Leche party because these politicians are not serving the needs of their constituents.

I'm upset and angry and will keep fighting for our cause.



To dream the impossible dream,
to fight the unbeatable foe,
to bear with unbearable sorrow,
to run where the brave dare not go...

To right the unrightable wrong,
to love pure and chaste from afar,
to try when your arms are too weary
to reach the unreachable star!

This is my quest —
to follow that star
no matter how hopeless,
no matter how far —
To fight for the right
without question or pause,
to be willing to march into hell
for a heavenly cause!

And I know
if I'll only be true
to this glorious quest
that my heart
will be peaceful and calm
when I'm laid to my rest.

And the world will be better for this
that one man, scorned and covered with scars,
still strove with his last ounce of courage
To reach the unreachable stars!
--Man of La Mancha