Almost Home and 10 things I hate about NYC :)

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - Posted by Intellectual Elegance at 10:18 AM
Happy Holidays everyone!

Hopefully, the hubs and I will make it on a plane together for home tomorrow. We fly standby and we've heard it's a zoo at the airport, but I have faith that we'll get on the flight! I am very much looking forward to coming home and relaxing with family and friends.

It's not that I am not enjoying NYC, but I miss my family a lot, so this will be a nice treat for me. Yesterday, as we were heading to IKEA, for what seems like the 100th time, we talked about how much we actually do like NYC. But then, as we were carrying an 80 lbs bookshelf up three flights of stairs, I realized there were some things I hate about NYC. So here they are for your consideration.

1. There are no elevators in my building.
--- This is my fault and I will own up to it. Bad news is that we live on the 3rd floor. Good news is that it's a short flight of stairs. Bad news- carrying heavy items up the stairs sucks. badly. ask my thighs. Yesterday we had to carry an 80 lb bookshelf all the way up and let me tell you. It was not fun at all. As a matter of fact, those type of events put me in a bad mood for about 10 minutes, then I get over it.

2. I hate walking up from St. Nicholas.
--- This is the stop that Mando takes, or makes me take home when we are together, but it's a crappy 2 block up hill battle to our apartment! And if you are passed St. Nick at Frederick Douglas Blvd., well it's even worse! This is where we pick up our zipcar and drop it off, and I despise walking home from here after we drop off the car! boo.

3. Morning Subways
--- This sucks because I feel like a sardine when I'm in and like a timid puppy when I'm out! From 8-10am, the subway cars are jam packed with people getting downtown to work. I wouldn't mind it so much except that some people stink, sometimes I can't touch the pole so I don't fall and it leaves me molesting everyone next to me since I lose my balance, and people are all up in your face. Now, when I successfully get off and try to get on my next train, well that's a whole other story. I am still getting used to using my "big girl" voice as the hubs calls it, so I struggle to get on to an already jam packed train. I usually sound like a whimpering puppy trying to get in. Sometimes, I get so nervous or so annoyed that people won't let me in that I have to wait until the next train arrives. Then that makes me late. boo.

4. BAD chinese food
--- I love Chinese food. Usually, it's either super great or really crappy. Lately, when we order out, the food is horrible and it makes me angry! I figured it would be easy to find great and cheap chinese by our house, but no. It's been awful. One place I went to looked ok from the outside, but when I got home and looked at the chicken in the chicken fried rice, it looked like shaved baby chicks! It was awful and it made me angry and I threw it away. That goes for some of the Gyro carts too. They are awful!

5. One errand = One hour
--- If you have to run an errand in NY, it's going to take you around an hour. Even if it is right by our house, it is still going to take you one hour. I think that is why they call it the NY minute.

6. Nobody smiles
--- I've been complimented so many times on my smile, or people will ask me why I smile so much. I never thought it was weird, but here, they don't really smile or say hello. Odd right?

7. Dunkin Donuts Sucks
--- I am used to donuts from Lamar's back home, now those are real donuts, not these sissy ones out here that are nasty! On every street corner here you see a Dunkin Donuts. They're not horrible but they are not good and that makes me sad too.

8. The Wind at South Street
--- I swear that the wind is waiting to really gear up the moment it see's me coming up the train stairs. The wind by the ferry is ridiculous. Especially when it is really cold out. I feel like I am gearing up for battle or for a lunar walk everytime I exit the South Ferry train station. I put my gloves on, then I tuck them into my sleeves with my fleece over the gloves, then my scarf, then my hat, then my hoodie.. check. check. check and I'm off! I feel like it slaps me hello everytime!

9. Spitting
--- Men spit everywhere, everyday, all the time! It's disgusting! They'll even see you walking towards them and they still spit! It grosses me out so bad and I believe it's absolutely rude! Especially the ones that they gargle from their nasal pasage or throat and then spit! Ugh- I can't even talk about it I'm so grossed out.

and the biggest thing I hate... is...

10. Homelessness in NYC
--- Homelessness in NYC is unlike anything I've seen back home. I can't say that it is the worse ever, because I believe that title goes to India. But the homeless conditions in NYC are extreme. Recently Mayor Bloomburg decided to cut the funding for Youth Shelters. Coupled with the fact that only a few youth shelters exist, this is a devastating blow for homeless youth. You see alot of them on the trains, performing for some money. You also see homeless adults with no shoes, no coats or jackets, no socks, nothing, begging for anything you have to offer. You see them on the trains or sleeping in the train stations. I made mando and I check on one person who I thought was dead or injured in one subway station, but then I saw them move and realized they were just asleep. :) I think I am going to get involved with some homeless initiatives in NYC because this is a tragic and devastating problem. It's not like home, it's on a much different level here, and I can't seem to understand how they survive the winters with no jackets, no socks or shoes!

In general- New Yorkers are a bit jaded when it comes to certain things and the homeless is one of them.

Sorry to end on such a bummer note, but on the bright side, there's always something we can do to help! And that's my plan.

You can always donate time or money to your local shelter too. Such as these places, and these places.