Sooo... Tirreeeddd

Thursday, August 4, 2011 - Posted by Intellectual Elegance at 10:45 PM
Or maybe I'm just lazy... I'm not sure.

I've been waking up so late this week, but I've been having problems sleeping. I think my brain was so used to working hard and being tired at the end of the day that now it has no idea what to do with all that free space.

I didn't get any of the positions or fellowships that I applied to from May-July. The one fellowship that I really wanted was an Equal Justice fellowship with a women's rights organization that assists immigrant victims of domestic violence, The new fellowship would assist victims of domestic violence who would now possibly be eligible for residency by applying for a U visa. The organization is attempting to expand their services to various areas of immigration law that affect women, especially immigrant and migrant women. So, needless to say, it was a phenomenal organization and I really wanted to be a part of it. But, I interviewed for them, a week before the bar, and I can honestly say it was not my best interview (because my brain was fried) and I was tired. Yes, I am an idiot for interviewing a week before the bar, but hey, I applied, they called, I went.

But, in retrospect, I am not upset and I realized that I need to spend more time getting to know other organizations in NYC. I will spend the next couple of weeks volunteering my time with a few immigrant rights and public interest organizations in NYC. I realized that I have not had the opportunity to show my commitment and my passion with these organizations. I also realized that I am competing with the best of the best and attorneys who have been laid off and are now applying for the same damn jobs that I am applying to. Damn them! So, I need to step up my game!! And I am ready for that.

I think that is what NYC is about... a lot of hard work, patience, perseverance and passion.

I spent half of my day yesterday sending volunteer emails to various organizations and I also responded to the rejection email I received from the women's right organization. I asked if I could volunteer with them, and she loved my "gracious" email and offered me a volunteer in house counsel position! :) Yes, it's a volunteer position, but the fact that she called "counsel" made me smile and made my day. I had to decline it because I am not licensed yet, but she said I could still do it once I pass the bar. In the meantime, I will be doing client intake on Thursdays from 10-2 and I will have some in house cases that I will take on as well.

I will also be volunteering with an immigrant rights organization either in Queens or Brooklyn. I am not sure which location yet.

Today, after sitting on my couch and responding to emails, phone calls, for 5 hours, I decided I would get out of my house and go to the public pool at Central Park. Mind you, I decided to leave my house at 5pm! Little did I know that it wasn't super hot outside (probably because it was 5pm) and that it was about to rain. I decided I would risk the rain anyway and still go to the park because I didn't want to waste the whole day at home. What I really wanted to do was go to the beach, but I am still recovering from Shark Week shows on the Discovery channel, so I can't go yet. Maybe on Saturday I'll go to the beach.

You should be happy to know that I learned how to cook new things this week. I've also decided that if I don't have a job, I should learn how to cook new things. I realized that the only things that I cook are usually mole, caldos, and anything that has cheese, potatoes and squash. Oh and enchiladas. So I cooked gigantic cheeseburgers with homemade onion rings on Monday, Oven fried chicken and mashed potatoes on Tuesday, Enchiladas on Wednesday and today I had leftovers. By leftovers I mean the entire bowl of mashed potatoes that I made Tuesday. I love mashed potatoes, but I ate way too much of them tonight.

The hubs is in San Jose, California (yes, he's gone again!) and he gets to meet the Black Eyed Peas again. Man, he has a hard life.

That's the update for now, I'll be writing more now that I am catching up with life and finally resting.

We have guests for the next 3 weeks straight! CRAZY! But it should be exciting and fun... right? :D