Lesson Learned

Thursday, February 17, 2011 - Posted by Intellectual Elegance at 7:09 AM
I mentioned earlier this week that I had a fabulous weekend.

What I forgot to mention is that I learned a very important lesson, one that I will surely not forget.

In New York, I wear my boots almost every day. Since it's cold and I hate wearing heels in the city, I wear an assortment of fabulous boots. They range in color and in awesomeness. (I also know that I do not need to ever buy any more boots.) Well, in order to wear my boots, I have to wear socks. But not just any socks, I need to wear women's trouser socks that are higher up in the calf so my legs don't touch the boot. Nobody likes to walk around with their leg sweating in their boots, at least I don't, so I wear high socks. Well, my socks seem to be a bit worn because I wear them so often and because I only have about 4 pair of my "boot" socks that I just wash and wear every week.

I noticed this weekened that all of my boot socks had a hole or were beginning to get worn right where my big toe is. Apparently I have a massive torpedo big toe (which some might argue I do) or I need to get better socks. I picked up a pair and wore them anyway with my favorite brazilian cowboy boots and I went along with my busy day. First of all, it's not very comfortable to wear socks where a toe is peeping out because I felt that my big toe and it's companion next to it, were peeping out strangling each other and making it sweaty. Gross, I know. But I figured it was all a matter of readjustment and still carried forth.

Well, I got home later that evening and had little time to change or do anything before we headed out to a Soup Dinner Party in Brooklyn with some friends. For a split second, I thought to myself, "Oh my goodness, WHAT IF it's one of those places where they may you take your shoes off?!" Then I snapped out of it and realized that only Colorado people do that because in New York, your shoes would get stolen and people have no room to leave them piled indoors. So that moment of panic was done and we left.

We arrived at the party and rang the bell. A guy comes out and welcomes us then tells us to please take off our shoes and leave them in the outside hallway! My heart dropped, my toes curled, as they realized that their secret would soon be exposed to the world! This was my worst fear of the day! I mean, who does that still? It's New York! Everything is dirty! I panicked for a moment as I told the hubs that my socks were holey! He laughed out loud and said, "Oh well, I told you!" I quickly thought about ways of going around it, perhaps borrowing socks from the host? No- that would be like borrowing underwear, you just don't do it if you don't know them super well. Barefoot? No- that's worse than holy socks and it's gross in other people's homes. Pull the sock down a bit? Maybe! So I pulled the fabric down and curled my toes down a bit so no one would see my tootsies.


Needless to say, the place was so crowded that I don't think anyone noticed. Except for this one moment, I caught a guy staring at my feet with a weird look in his face to which I exclaimed, "Yeah, they're holy! Sorry, I'm so embarrased!" to which he replied, "Huh? Oh no, I just wanted the bottle of Carlo Rossi underneath your chair!" Great.

So I learned my lesson. Our mothers were right when they told us to never leave the house with holy socks or without a good pair of underwear on. I will be buying some socks this weekend and getting rid of those other holy pairs. :)