Options received....

Monday, February 7, 2011 - Posted by Intellectual Elegance at 8:28 PM
Finally home and feeling rested and calm.

Funny enough, I received news as to what might happen with my work position. It wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear, but I had prepared myself (mostly) for good or bad news, I just don't think it was good timing.

I was walking through airport security in San Juan when I noticed I had a voicemail from NPS in Denver. I immediately listened and realized that I had missed a call from BJ, my Chief Branch manager (boss) in Denver. She was asking me to call her asap to go over some options. I immediately called her back and she said we'd need to schedule a conference call with my NPS supervisor in New York as well and we'd need to do it later in the day. I offered 4:30pm because I knew I'd be out of my flight and on the ground by then, but she pushed it to 4:45, damn! I graciously agreed and for the next 5 hours I couldn't sleep, think or do anything! I kept running every scenario over in my head and even reminded myself that the cards had been dealt and I needed to just be patient.

I landed at 3:55pm and as soon as I got service on my phone, I saw a text message from my project manager in Puerto Rico saying, "I just talked to BJ, I am so bummed, are you ok?" This was problematic for many on so many different levels, please don't get me started, but it confirmed my worst fear. My position is terminated. Even though I had prepared myself for this moment, it wasn't how I figured it would happen. I especially didn't think it would happen through text! But, my eyes welled up with tears and I got that lump in your throat that you get before you want to cry. Sad thing is that I was standing in the middle of an airplane aisle waiting to exit. I couldn't hold a few tears back so I let them out and hid them with my scarf. I took in some deep breaths and moved off of the plane as soon as I possibly could. I walked off and realized that there were more tears to come and I better let them out now instead of a phone call with my directors! ha! So I found a hidden corner at JFK Airport and just cried for a good 2-3 minutes, silently, so that no one would think I was a terrorist or a psycho. Then, I gained my composure, cleaned myself up in the bathroom and went about my way.

I called the hubs to tell him what was probably going to happen and to inform him that I was alright and very eager to come home. I looked at my clock, damn it's only 4:15. I picked up my luggage and waited for my taxi. By the time I got in the taxi it was 4:35 and I knew the next ten minutes would be the slowest ten minutes of my life! Finally, at 4:45 I call in. I talk to BJ about how great Puerto Rico went and she told me she was so excited and couldn't wait to find out more! When Patti joined the call we immediately got down to business.

Unfortunately, they were not able to find a position where I could non-compete, meaning just transfer up, so it left them with a fewer options. First option is to try to stay on as a contractor (no benefits) , second option is to compete for a temporary position (until Sept with benefits), third option is to check out a position at Manhattan sites (with benefits but lower grade, about 10,000 pay cut), fourth option is to possibly check out a position with one more superintendent in NYC. I think there is also the fifth option that none of these options work out, which is also fine. I quickly realized just how hard they are working to try and keep me to stay on and they praise and appreciate the work that I have done up until now, which they said is the reason they are trying so hard. That alone I can appreciate tremendously and I am so thankful to be working for them and that they are truly advocating for me like no other employer has before.

So what does all this mean? I will be submitting my resume. I can't give more details because it's a bit confidential. But I am ok. I cried because I needed to get it out. I reminded myself that I had prepared myself for this, the hubs and I had talked about all our options and we decided what we would do. It sounds crazy but with his support I feel like I can take on anything.

It should be an interesting couple of weeks and I'll keep you informed. On another note, yesterday I got the chance to cook with the lovely and talented Gabrielle Marie Lopez from gabriela's kitchen! We made delicious cheeseburger sliders, chicken sloppy joe sliders, apricot-jalapeno baked brie and fruit pizza! :) It was absolutely delicious and we had a blast! It was a great little super bowl party. Although I did miss our usual Vegas trip!