Mondays suck

Monday, February 28, 2011 - Posted by Intellectual Elegance at 12:42 PM


I was only a morning person once. That was a long, long, long time ago when I was in high school. Back then I would actually wake up around 5:30am to do my hair. Yes, just my hair, well and sometimes to take my grandma to her dialysis center or to make her breakfast. ;) But my hair was a big deal. Now, I am lucky if I comb my hair as I swish past the bathroom at 8:30am to catch my 9am ferry. Yes, Mondays suck.

This morning however, we had an unpleasant surprise as I randomly woke up at 5:40am because I smelled something too familiar. I got up and saw siren lights outside and realized they were in front of my building. I hopped out of bed, half asleep half scared, and saw smoke in the apartment and I knew what that awful smell was. It was burnt plastic! I knew it wasn't coming from our apartment and I heard a shuffling in the hallway so I grabbed my robe and did what the fire marshalls taught me in 5th grade. I touched the door knob to see if a fire was outside my door, then I peeked through the peek hole to look at whoever was standing outside the door. Once I realized the door knob was cold, I opened my door and saw New York's City's Finest, and I mean finest. He was hunky and cute. He was staring back at Denver's sleepiest with dry drool on my cheek and my hair looking a hot mess. Great. I asked him if we had to leave the building and he said, "No ma'am, just close the door, don't open windows and stay inside. Go back to bed." I blinked once or twice and stared at him for what seemed like forever because I kept thinking that this is one of those weird dreams of mine. So I answered back, "Are you sure? I see smoke!" He laughed and explained that there was some kind of oil burning in the boiler/heating pipes, I'm not sure, I zoned out half way through. But he did finally say, "You have nothing to worry about, you can go back in." I looked at him again and said, "how do I know if there's a fire below me and you can't come knock on the door to get us out, then what?" He lauged again and said, "that's why you have smoke detectors and fire escapes." Apparently that solved my problem because all I could say was goodnight and goodluck.

By the time I woke up for work, the smoke had cleared but it still stunk like burnt plastic. They turned the hot water boiler off so I didn't get to shower and now I feel stinky. I also placed my yoga materials at the door so I wouldn't forget to take it, and as soon as I got on the subway, I realized I forgot it. damn.

On top of that, I have been informed that I have to take a break from work for one week due to the bureaucracy of DC in hiring me on time. A break is fine with me, but I'm worried they won't call me back next week, lol. I know they will, but still, the way things are going, nothing is ever certain with the Feds.

On a brighter note, I won a $345 Bar scholarship! It's not alot but any little bit helps! :) I am quite proud of my little scholarship. On top of this, we are getting closer to the show that I am participating with my darling friend Yadira de la Riva. We are collaborating with an organization called Af3irm for an event on the 18th of March. This is our flier for the event. It should be a lot of fun.

This weekend I also attended a workshop by the Youth Leadership Council in New York, and I was excited to attend as it was a training around the DREAM Act, but left disappointed as I realized that I am getting too old for some of this and because I didn't really feel welcomed in that particular space. One of the facilitators was especially rude, and it frustrated me a bit, I also wasn't feeling particularly well, so I left early. I did however get to speak to a few DREAMERS (DREAM Activists) from New Jersey and New York. They never cease to amaze me and it provided me with the proper direction I needed for a project. I don't want to share it with you yet until I finalize some more details about it, but just know this, it is exciting and hopefully it will be brilliant. The hubs and I are collaborating on it, because let's face it, his digital and creative skills are a bit superior to mine! ha! Well, digitally at least.

Have a great week everyone! Spring is around the corner!