My Neighborhood.. Harlem-->Hamilton Heights--> Sugar Hill

Sunday, November 28, 2010 - Posted by Intellectual Elegance at 12:12 PM
Yes. We moved into Harlem. I love it. (so far)

We live in the northern part of Hamilton Heights, 3 blocks away from Washington Heights. It is a predominantly Dominican/Latino neirghborhood with delis and bodegas on every corner. You hear more spanish spoken here than in any part of Denver!

Hamilton Heights is named so because of Alexander Hamilton. He lived in this area of NYC. Within Hamilton Heights, we live in the historic disctrict of Sugar Hill. This was the neighborhood of W.E.B. DuBois, Langston Huges, Duke Ellington, and Thurgood Marshall. It was an area where affluent African Americans lived. Today, the neighborhood is going through gentrification, but it is still an African American neighborhood. I would say that to the west of our block is all Latino, and the east of our block it's mostly African-American. Either way, it's fantastic. :)

Our apartment is a bit of an anamoly as it has a dryer, washer and dish washer. Apparently nobody gets to have this in their apartments. This makes my heart happy because I wouldn't want strangers to see my wash my chones. Gross.

Bad news about the apartment- no elevator and we live on the third floor. Which, is not bad and I just keep thinking about what a great butt I'll have by the summer time.

I'll post pics as soon as I can. But I am grateful for my little comfy Harlem home.