The things I will miss the most...

Thursday, November 4, 2010 - Posted by Intellectual Elegance at 10:38 AM
One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop what we are doing and devote our attention to eating. ~ Luciano Pavarotti

Aside from family and friends, I realized this weekend that I should probably go to all of my favorite restaurants and bid farewell to them all, and explain to them why they will not be seeing me for a while. I don't want them to think that I don't like their food anymore or that I have found another love to replace them. That is unthinkable. (At least I won't find a replacement here, but I plan to locate them out there!) :)

I figured I would create my own foodie awards in case any of you ever want to know where you can find delicious food to eat, all over town! I will call them the Sasnor Awards. :)




I will start with the most obvious one. Lao Wang Noodle House. Ohhhh sweet dumplings of sunshine, oooohhhh my Xia Long Bao! How you will be missed. For those of you who have never EVER been to Lao Wang's you must go immediately! Lao Wangs is a Taiwanese mom and pop dumpling and noodle restaurant. A cute elderly couple cook, wait and greet the customers. They are notorious, and I mean nationally, for their soup dumplings known as the Xia Long Bao. These lil' dumplings of love are filled with pork and a soup broth inside! You poke a hole and throw in some chile, vinegar and soy sauce and you are set! This is one of my favorite restaurants and I love going there with family and friends! Their address is 945 S. Federal Blvd. #D, Denver CO 80219. They are open 11-9, and closed on Mondays. :) Yes, I know their hours. so what.

Next up, Spring Fling. Yes spring fling is like crack to me. (I assume crack or the meth tastes like spring fling to addicts.) Actually, I think Spring Fling is probably every woman's dessert addiction in the Mile High City. Spring fing is a unique zucchini cake that is piled high with fresh fruit like mango, grapes, strawberries, etc and topped with a whip cream, creat cheese, butter cream frosting. This is heaven to me, this is my crack. From the moment we met, we've been in love. It costs around $7.00 (with tax) per slice at the Market 15th and Larimer, but it's worth every penny because they give you a GIGANTIC slice. I love you spring fling, and I'll miss you alot.


Next up, is Panaderia Rosales in North Denver. BEST pan dulce in Colorado. Hands down, I've had a lot of conchas (esponjas) from various panaderias around town, and NONE of them compare to this one. I have been going to this bakery since my family and I arrived in Denver in 1892.... jk, 1984. :) I know the family and my grandmother went through dialysis with one of the owners of the bakery. This panaderia sells the most delicious tamales, menudos, tortas, pan dulce (sweet bread) and much more! They also sell amazing sugar skills for your day of the dead celebrations. When I was younger I would have my mom or dad bring me home esponjas after work. Sometimes they'd forget and stop by a different bakery close to home. The moment I smelled the bag, I knew it wasn't Rosales. That's how well trained I am in determining what makes a great esponja. Trust me, I can't be fooled. Panaderia Rosales is also near and dear to my heart because they are one of the great last Mexican places in North Denver. Gentrification has changed that entire block but they, along with Patzcuaro (another yummy place) and La Mexicana Taqueria, have remained. I love them and suppor them and know that they will never leave if they can avoid it. Rosales is located at 2636 W. 32nd Ave. Denver, CO 80211.

These are a few of my favorite spots so far. I will post more this week and next week, but if you can, check these places out because they will not dissappoint and they are super affordable. I ask that you love them as I have loved them. Visit frequent and love every bite! Viva la Vida y Buen Provecho!!