Back in D.C.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 - Posted by Intellectual Elegance at 12:28 PM
I'm back in DC this week for work and to be honest, I'm a bit over the traveling back and forth. It really tires me out during the week, so by the time I get around to the weekend, all I want to do is sleep! The good news is that all the plans for the report are moving along beautifully and I really enjoy the company of my boss. He's a great person with a kind heart and I think he truly appreciates me. :) I'm glad I get to work with him directly because I've learned a lot from him and some of the other staffers here in DC. I don't think I could live in DC because of all the egos and the weird energy all around.

These past couple of weeks I've been in meetings with Secretary's Salazar's senior advisors, congressional aides, and other high and mighty folks/Latinos in DC. At the very least, they are incredibly nice, but I can't really describe the feeling or the word to describe this place. It's a real contrast between the vibe that lives in NYC and the vibe in DC. The word for NYC is "create!" While in DC it's "power." I feel like everyone is looking for power, and I don't think I like that feeling, and I think that's why I am always glad to go back to NYC. I think the best word for Colorado is "home." I love Colorado, and I love it even more now that I am away. I look forward to being around my family and friends, and I am literally counting down the days because I want to be around everyone and feel their love and good energy. I also want to relax a litte. A friend of ours was able to pinpoint the exact feeling of NYC when you wake up in the mornings. It's the feeling that you missed something and you better go and get on with your day asap! While being at home, is like waking up feeling like "you're missing nothing, relax, enjoy this moment, breathe that clean aquafina air." I look forward to breathing that aquafina rocky mountain air.

I feel like everything is coming together nicely for the most part. I only have two weeks left at Governor's Island, then I will spend my last week here in DC. Next week will be a bit hectic since I will probably need to back up everything on my computer, ship it back to Denver and start packing up my office. This always makes me sad, especially because I really enjoyed having my own entire office. I am also trying to do something nice for the staff at the island, but one of my co-workers only eats Kosher food, so I don't know what I could make or do to accomodate everyone. I'll figure something out, I'm sure. I'm just incredibly eager, anxious and excited to get on with the rest of my life! You know that feeling you had as a kid, right before you started a race a field day? That's the feeling that I have! I feel anxious and ready to move forward and get er' done.

Plus, I am excited for this weekend because we are (hopefully) going to create and organize our creative space in the extra bedroom. We are going to buy the hubs his drafting desk and organize that room so we can actually start working in it. We need it because our idea tentacles (not testicles) are all over the place like mad people! That's something I do appreciate about this lovely man of mine, he pushes me to create and at the same time to ground myself and achieve my greatest potential. We are a good match for each other and I appreciate him so much more now that we are out here. We have exciting projects that I still can't fully tell you about until we finalize them.

As a last comment, this week we helped friends out at the premiere for the first all Latino-web series called East Willy B. This is an important venture for our friends because they are creating the roles that are not available to them or that are not presented in the mainstream tv/media. I think this will be the beginning of something incredible and I think we both felt honored to have helped them on Tuesday. They are an amazing group of talented artists and I am proud to call some of them our friends. Enjoy the first episodes. xoxo



p.s. I couldn't post yesterday because the stupid hotel I am staying at requires you pay for wifi. Which is dumb considering this is the fancy shmancy Hilton, and the hotel I stayed at last week was the Courtyard Marriot. The Marriot was SO much better than the Hilton. They have FREE homemade cookies everyday, free wifi, free fitness center and a pool. The Hilton in DC sucks. They even charge you to work out! losers. I'm going to write The Marriott and let them know they rock.