Long Day

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 - Posted by Intellectual Elegance at 7:29 PM
I think I need a day to just sleep all day.

I am so tired today and all I wanted to do was hide under the desk and go to bed.

A great highlight of my day was speaking to 8th grade students via Skype. The students wanted to learn more about college and how I paid for and went to college even though I was an immigrant, and for a long time, undocumented. I hope that I did a good job for them, I couldn't see them but they could see me, so I hope I was at least interesting. :) I think it's hard to impress 8th graders. My boss walked by as I was speaking with students and he told me afterward that he thought it was "super cool" that we can talk video to video across the country.

I did have a weird moment today when I overheard the girl who sits behind me, interview students for intern positions within the Department of the Interior. I saw how they picked candidates and the questions they asked them and how they ended the conversations. For the candidates they liked, they immediately told them they would hear back from HR and a start date will be sent to them. For the ones that were not picked, they would tell them that a decision had yet to be made and they had other people to interview and would get back to them. After applying to fellowships and positions at various jobs, I would hear the last statement vs. the first one. Now I know. I felt bad for the people that received the second statement and not the first. I wondered if they knew they were no longer in the running? If they had false hope that they might have a chance. I think I'd rather have them tell me, "you know, you're not quite what we're looking for, but good job and good luck."

I'm glad tomorrow is Thursday, I am ready to go home and I am super exhausted. I want to take this weekend to rest but there's so much to do. We'll see what the weekend holds.

Buenas noches.
xo