Live and Let Go

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 - Posted by Intellectual Elegance at 8:09 PM
so racist. lol.

Today was an interesting day. I am in Washington, DC for work again and all is well with the Museum and the project, but I had a moment of clarity and I felt overwhelmed and at ease, all at the same time.

Since 2005 I have been an intern. Yup, a professional intern for the last 6 years and I am over it. I absolutely love the work that I have done with the National Park Service and the Department of the Interior and it has been incredibly rewarding. A year ago I came to NPS to work on the Report to Congress on the potential creation of the National Museum of the American Latino. I've worked on the edits, presentation and final delivery of the report, and if all goes well, I'll end my brief stint with NPS at the Whitehouse delivering the report to President Obama. In one year I was able to meet the most amazing people and I am incredibly grateful to all my directors for allowing me to grow professionally and personally. They went above and beyond to help me every step of the way, even more than I ever imagined. From Denver to New York, the support was there.

But now, as it all comes to an end, I am starting to realize that I don't ever want to be an intern again. I am over it. Not because of my current work, but because I am done with that chapter of my life and now I need to go pursue my goals and a career in the legal field. I've learned so much and I could come back to work for the government, but not as an intern. It's a bittersweet feeling because I've loved this project and the other projects I've had the honor of working on, but I have sacrificed too much to just be an intern for someone. And I feel ok with everything. I am still uneasy about being unemployed in the next couple of weeks but I have to believe that there is a greater plan for me and for all of this. Fate has to be working in a weird way and although I never seem to understand certain events that I am confronted with, when I look back, I see what lessons or opportunities arose from those decisions. For example, last year I joined the National Latino Law Student Association executive board and I had no idea why. I woke up that morning, attended a meeting and someone told me to run for a position and I did. Then I ended up winning a position and I had no idea why I decided to do that since I was in my final year of law school and I really didn't need to complicate my life further, but I did it anyway. Looking back, if it wasn't for the friends I made on the board, I would not have flown out to NYC or New Haven or have anyone to stay with or know in New York City. The friendships I have made are absolutely incredible and we support and motivate each other to succeed and to accomplish our goals. They are incredible human beings and I love the all dearly. But if it wasn't for my position on the board, I would have never met any of them, especially George and Alex.

So as I prepare for the Bar exam and for this new chapter in my life, I go forward with optimism and faith that everything will be ok. I have worked hard in all of my positions and if I continue to work hard, everything will be fine. I feel calm, and although I am sad to leave, I leave knowing that I contributed to the legacy of amazing projects within the Department of the Interior and beyond. It's ok for me to let go.

In the end, I guess we have to continue to be fearless and really push ourselves out of our comfort zones so that we reach our full potential. So we can be better than we ever imagined.

Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself. - Dale Carnegie

I'll leave you with the Farm workers Prayer by Cesar Chavez. I read it today and it really touched my heart, so enjoy.

Prayer of the Farm Workers' Struggle
Show me the suffering of the most miserable;
So I will know my people's plight.
Free me to pray for others;
For you are present in every person.
Help me to take responsibility for my own life;
So that I can be free at last.
Grant me courage to serve others;
For in service there is true life.
Give me honesty and patience;
So that I can work with other workers.
Bring forth song and celebration;
So that the spirit will be alive among us.
Let the spirit flourish and grow;
So we will never tire of the struggle.
Let us remember those who have died for justice;
For they have given us life.
Help us love even those who hate us;
So we can change the world.

Written by Cesar E. Chavez, UFW Founder (1927-1993)

Oracion del Campesino en la Lucha

Ensename el sufrimiento de los mas desafortunados;
Asi conocere el dolor de mi pueblo.
Librame a orar por los demas;
Porque estas presente en cada persona.
Ayudame a tomar responsabilidad de mi propia vida;
Solo asi sere libre al fin.
Concedeme valentia para servir al projimo;
Porque en la entrega hay vida verdadera.
Concedeme honoradez y paciencia;
Para que yo pueda trabajar junto con otros trabajadores.
Alumbranos con el canto y la celebracion;
Para que levanten el Espiritu entre nosotros.
Que el Espiritu florezca y crezca;
Para que no nos cansemos entre la lucha.
Nos acordamos de los que han caido por la justicia;
Porque a nosotros han entregado la vida.
Ayudanos a amar aun a los que nos odian;
Asi podremos cambiar el mundo.

Escrito por Cesar E. Chavez, Fundador de la UFW (1927-1993)

You can download it here.