Back from NYC & New Haven!

Monday, October 4, 2010 - Posted by Intellectual Elegance at 6:13 PM

I've spent the last 5 days in NYC and in New Haven! I went to attend the National Latino Law Student conference at Yale Law School. It was a good conference (aside from the smoke and mirrors) it went well! More than anything, I met amazing Latino law students and lawyers who are making a difference in the world and who are working hard to stand up and defend those who are silenced and ignored. I loved it.

I loved meeting people from all over the nation who have this amazing drive and energy not only to succeed but to really accomplish great things. The world better be careful because we are a force to be reckoned with!

I went to one interview while I was in NYC. I think it went well, but I left not knowing if I would hear back from them. This was by far, one of the hardest, most intense interviews I have ever done. They asked me about my organizing past and why I applied for an organizer position instead of the Staff Attorney position. I was honest and told them I didn't believe I qualified for the position because I have yet to take the bar. Then I was questioned on my intentions in applying for the position. I don't blame them, they must think that I just want this job so that I could move to NYC then leave them in a couple of months. I told them I planned to commit 2 years to the position if I was chosen. I felt that I made my intentions clear and that they understood and felt my passion for working with a public interest organization. But, at some point I think they felt I was overqualified.

So, at this point I am not sure what to think.... I did ask the Director if I was eligible for the Staff Attorney position but I have yet to hear back.

Tomorrow I hope to hear back from the Equal Justice Works employers. So far I have only heard back from a fellowship in California, but I don't want to go to Cali, I want to be in NYC. This weekend affirmed that in me. I realized that I could handle NYC and that I could survive, thrive and grow. We'll see what happens, I am looking for other internships and jobs in NYC so hopefully something comes through.

I'll keep you posted.

Paz xoxo
jaz

p.s. i saw this quote, and you know me with my inspirational quotes, i had to share it with everyone.