Interview #2 out of application #20

Thursday, October 21, 2010 - Posted by Intellectual Elegance at 10:47 PM
This quote is so true, unless you are the mice who hit our traps. sorry. you really can't handle that.

So, it seems that for every 10 resumes and cover letters I send out, I will get one interview. Hooray.
I interviewed today with womenslaw.org. They are an amazing organization that provides advocacy and resources for individuals who are dealing with sexual assault or domestic violence. I am excited because this is a Program Attorney position and it aligns with my passion for public interest work, advocacy and community organizing.

Earlier this week I spent some time researching (stalking) the organization and their leadership, and then today I prepared for an hour for the interview. I am a machine when it comes to preparing for interviews and I pride myself on my research and preparation. I even created sample scenarios that they might ask me, I looked up relevant cases that I already knew about but needed to refresh and I looked up any recent news articles about the organization and domestic violence. Surprisingly enough, October is considered Domestic Violence awareness month. This issues is one that is near and dear to my heart because 1 out of 4 women will be in a violent relationship. That breaks my heart as I read the statistics that more than 2.3 million women have been or are in a violent relationship. That is a ridiculous amount and I want to be a part of that solution.

The interview started off well and I think I did extremely well, but about 25 minutes into the interview, the nice lady said "Well that's all I have, any questions for me?" I was shocked. I've never had such a short interview and of course I had questions prepared because that's what I do, but 25 minutes!? What? I wanted to ask her to ask me more questions, shoot. I asked her my questions which bought me about another 10 minutes but that was it. She didn't sound like she ended it because I failed or said something about her mother, she just literally sounded like she ran out of things to ask me. It was awkward and I felt weird. I felt like I should tell her more but then what would I say?

After my questions, she told me they were still interviewing people and would get back to me for an in person, or a skype interview for me, if I made the second round. So, we'll keep playing this waiting game. In the meantime, I'll keep making my nyquil cocktails to get some sleep.
On another random note, we have mice. Not one, not two, not even three. 12. Yup. A gaggle of mice are running around behind the walls of my home and I am so grossed out by them. I feel bad killing them but I they need to die or else they will find their way back home. I keep thinking maybe they are anxious along with us so they want us to pack them in our stuff to NYC. It's not that we are dirty or hoarders, but our neighbors have pets and their hygiene is questionable. Especially the one that let's homeless people sleep in his home and enter at all hours of the night. So I don't get it.

Although I have to say, these are the most aggressive mice we have seen. They have chewed through the drywall 3 TIMES and even cross in front of me when I'm in the living room in broad daylight. One of them even had the audacity to rear its ugly head through the stove top. This continues to give me reasons why I shouldn't step foot in my kitchen or attempt to make dinner. I hate mice so much and it sucks that I hate killing them more. The worst ones are when you get the scarface ones that get their head smashed. Oh its awful, I can't even talk about it.

Well, today was a normal day, still no word, but I hope tomorrow brings news from the East. Hopefully I impressed that lady in 20 minutes so that I can at least get a call back because I think I would really like this job.

Have a wonderful day. xoxo