No Fellowship yet... But...

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 - Posted by Intellectual Elegance at 9:53 PM


I started out the day with the hope that I might hear back from the Fried Frank Fellowship, and no it has nothing to do with hotdogs. *i wish*

By 9am I opened up my Equal Justice Works account and looked at my tabs. Only one interview accepted and then BAM! Next to Fried Frank Fellowship it said "Not Accepted." My heart sank because not only was it 9am, but also because I hate feeling like a loser so early in the morning. I really wanted this opportunity. I want to be a Fried Frank Fellow! This is why:

"Fried Frank has created unique programs that effectively bridge the worlds of private law firm litigation and public service law by joining with two of the country's leading civil rights advocacy organizations, the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) and the Mexican-American Legal Defense and Educational Fund (MALDEF).

The LDF and MALDEF fellowships each give an entry-level lawyer the opportunity to spend two years as a Fried Frank litigator and then two years as a staff attorney with LDF or MALDEF. At the end of their four-year commitment, the successful Fellows are encouraged to interview to return to Fried Frank and, in some cases, they continue on the staff of their civil rights organization. They pride themselves that a number of their former Fellows hold high-level positions on the staffs of both LDF and MALDEF.

The ideal candidate for a Fried Frank Fellowship is a third-year law student or recent graduate currently in a judicial clerkship. Candidates for the MALDEF and LDF fellowships should have a genuine interest in both corporate and civil rights litigation."

This is my dream job. It's as if God made this just for me. I was totally bummed all day, feeling like a gigantic loser so I decided to do what I know cheers me up. I went sale shopping. That worked for now, but I also realized that I could possibly apply to the Fellowship on my own through the law firm. The deadline is November 1st, and I think I have a better chance at competing this time then through the EJW career fair.

I am really going to try my hardest again and try to receive this fellowship. My target has been set and now I will do everything in my power to win it. Today wasn't as awful as I thought it would be, it also helped that I literally tore my bedroom apart trying to get rid of dust mites so that my husband can stop wheezing and sneezing through the night. We had to buy hypo-allergenic everything!

Sorry, I digress... tomorrow I will send out my emails to request letters of recommendations from two of my professors in hopes that they will help me receive the Fried Frank Fellowship. This would truly be a dream come true.

Buenas noches....xoxo

Jaz

p.s. LatCrit is also in town and I am going to try to get off work so I can go volunteer and check out the panels!

p.p.s. I still haven't told my dad that I want to move to NYC. I must do that tomorrow. I think the universe has my application on hold until then... ay veremos! * wish me suerte*